- The most asked question I get in the mail, email, and Facebook these days is “When is the next book coming out?”
That’s the same question my literary agent is asking me, also and I really don’t have a good answer.
I have about three partial scripts in process but nothing that I feel is truly inspired. I feel so fulfilled by the seven books that I have published that I don’t want the next one to be anything short of what I think they were.
And to be honest, I’ve been doing a lot of public and private speaking engagements the last couple of years and I write each one of those and all that cuts into my writing time. Even Debbie asked me the other day when I was going to write another book. So I guess maybe I really do need to lock myself in my office and not come out until the last chapter is finished…..or dinner is ready!
- Dailey and Vincent, who did a wonderful Statler Brothers salute album a few years ago, recently did a live concert for PBS which will be an on-air special and a CD and a DVD. They asked me to introduce them and bring them on stage that night at the Hylton Center just outside Washington, D.C. It was a sweet and rewarding experience.
When I walked out on stage, before I even said a word, I was greeted with a standing ovation from their overflowing and beautiful audience. I know this generous sharing of love was not just for me but for all the Statlers and I was touched that the group is still so loved and so missed. It warmed my heart and fogged my vision.
It continued to be a very special night and I wish those guys the very best with this latest project. Watch their website for release dates.
- My sons won’t let me completely retire. They record all my speaking engagements whether it’s a banquet or a Sunday morning service and now they have put together a CD called “Don Reid – Speaking from the Heart”.
It contains three different engagements and they even put a new picture of me on the front that I had never seen before. You can find out all about it on DonReid.net or StatlerBrothers.com.
(This is not a plug, but just something else that I’ve been doing.)
- My first book, “Heroes and Outlaws of the Bible” was available from the very beginning with a cassette of me reading the book. But now, those same two slave-driving sons, have released it on CD for the very first time.
(It’s a sure cure for insomnia.)
- And of late, it seems my second most asked question in interviews and from folks on the street is, “What are you reading?” So I’m going to share that and maybe even make it a regular item in future blogs.
Years ago I discovered Michael Connelly. He writes police procedurals set in L.A. and writes them very well I might add. I liked his work so much that I bought all his books, about 25 of them, and I’m reading them in order. I’m on the eighth one, “Angels Flight”. If this kind of fiction appeals to you, I think you’ll agree he’s one of the best at his craft. (If you watch “Castle”, he’s one of the novelists that plays poker with him from time to time.)
Love the lazy days of summer but looking forward to the sweater days of autumn. God love you all.
Well, you never think it is going to happen to you, but then when it does, you realize how lucky you have been that it didn’t happen sooner. I got hacked!
My website – donreid.net- got taken over last week by a strange and eerie force. Let me tell you about it.
I got an email from my good friend, Steve Womack, who was the director of the Statler Brothers TV series back in the ’90s and all of the television specials we did through the years.
Steve told me I had better take a look at my website because it looked like something bad had happened to it. I immediately took a look because I could tell he wasn’t joking. And boy, what I found!
All you could see when you logged on was one colorful page with a burning Star of David at the top of it. Then there was the written message and then some of the weirdest, scariest sounding music you have ever heard. It was some raging, unending Islamic chant and the message, in large bold print, said:
Hacking sites will not stop!!!
Unless Gaza is Free
We want freedom for palastain
USA said that Israil will stop attcking gaza
However we Don’t believe on that And hacking is On
I have reproduced the message exactly as written, spelling and all.
To be honest, I wasn’t sure what my next step should be. I called my tech guy, a good friend who designed and maintains my website and he was as shocked as I was. He worked on it and got it down and got my site back to normal. He also fixed some filtering system with the assurance that this can never happen again.
I’m sharing this simply because it can happen to any of us and maybe it has happened to you. This world was never promised to us to be a safe and loving environment to live in; we’ll have to wait for heaven for that. But when it comes into your home uninvited through technology and offends your senses, it shakes, and subsequently strengthens, your personal constitution, spirit and mettle.
We are vulnerable but not afraid.
God bless America.